Attachment is a heart-warming word when it comes to the emotional bond between an infant and its caregiver. However, when you grow up, you continue to be attached to many people as though your survival depends on them. Whether it is family or friend circle, or people at workplace, you cling on to them for emotional, financial or physical needs. This dependancy could make you feel secure sometimes, but most of the times it leads to expectations, control and broken heart. Dependancy makes you lose vision to see far and beyond and keeps you away from your true independent self. And in times of deep hurt and distress, you wonder how you can be less attached from those who hurt you? You cope up with relationships as below:
• If the person is someone you can live without, you let go of the relationship
• If the person is someone you cannot break relationship with, you distance yourself emotionally to shield yourself or live with him in deep anxiety and negativity.
What is the solution?
The solution lies in managing relationships. While breaking a relationship and letting go of the other person is an easy alternative, it is not the solution. This is because you will only be hopping from one relationship to another, in search of that special relationship in which your expectations will be met. Closing communication channels and not talking to the other person only leads to widening distance and adds strain to the already fractured relationship. The negativity you feel eventually blocks your Heart Chakra. And a blocked Heart Chakra disallows you from experiencing even the positive and good feelings. Heart is the window to God, compassion and love and it is a region that needs to be open always.
How to manage relationships without being attached:
• Know that you become attached because of some kind of dependency be it emotional, physical or financial. One has to let go of this dependency to realize the Independent Self.
• Use communication to resolve any misunderstandings.
• Learn to forgive people if they have wronged you in any way.
• Let go of definitions and defining behaviours of people to be able to see them in right perspective and light.
• Use acceptance to understand another person’s differing point of view about a situation
All of the above will help you to connect to your independent, loving, empathetic and compassionate Self. This connection to your true self will guide you to joyful relationships without attachments.
Learn How attachment prevents you from taking right decisions: