OM is the most powerful and popular chant worldwide. What is Om in reality? Why is OM considered as the Universal sound? Let’s try to unfold the mystery and power of Om in a scientific way. There are many theories surrounding the Om Mantra. One of these is that “the celestial sound which is responsible for creation of Universe is OM”. Om is a sound and sound is a form of energy. When chanted with the right vibrations and resonance, it gives a soothing feeling to our mind and body. ‘Om’ comprises of three sounds:
- “aaaaaaa”–.Take deep breaths and while exhaling chant “aaaaaaa”. Feel the vibrations in your abdomen.
- “ooooo” – Inhale again (slow and long breath). While exhaling chant “ooooo”. Feel the vibrations in your chest and neck.
- “mmmm”– While exhaling this time chant “mmmmmm”. Feel the vibration in your head, nasal area and neck.
Once you’ve practiced this two to three times, now while exhaling say “Aaaaaaaauuuuuummmm”. Around 80 per cent of the exhalation time should be for “Aaaauuuuuu” and 20% should be for “mmmmmm”.
When all the 3 sounds of OM are chanted sequentially, it activates many parts of our body like, stomach, spinal cord, throat nasal, and brain. Chanting Om Mantra while meditating creates a vibration that represents three states of our conventional consciousness, waking, dream and deep sleep.
Benefits of Chanting OM Mantra
- Helps in development or fulfilment of one’s potential.
- Improves concentration.
- Gives peace and steadiness to the mind.
- Reduces mental stress and clears all worldly thoughts.
- Makes you feel refreshed and relaxed.
- Deepens the connection to the spiritual self.
- This mantra not only gives positive results to the one chanting it, but to the entire vicinity wherever its vibrations flow.
- Cleanses the Aura
- Gives you better immunity and self-healing power.
- Controls blood pressure.
- It helps in the overall development of your body and mind positively without any side effects.
OM is a sacred prayer that precedes any prayer or mantra. As a reflection of the Absolute Reality, it is said to be “Adi Anadi”, that is, without beginning or the end and embracing all that exists. All Gods and Goddesses and all Planets are embodied in this prayer. Chanting “Om Mantra” energizes all the seven chakras in our body.
For reciting mantras of all gods and goddesses, a Rudraksha japa mala of 108+1 beads is used, or a specific Gemstone/Spiritual rosary is used. Rudra Centre has a vast collection of Rudraksha Japa mala and Spiritual Rosaries.